Friday, October 9, 2015

My thoughts on the Saturday Morning Session

This past General Conference has been very insightful and inspiring. Many wonderful talks with very key points that I felt the church members needed to hear were given. I wish to review most of the talks briefly and my observations about them. I must warn that I will be blunt with my opinion, as some of my thoughts and feelings may not be the most popular in the "village square", but are my honest thoughts concerning the topics and my concerns about the members of the Church today. I am not however claiming to be perfect or to know everything, I am far from that, trust me!

Saturday Morning Session

To start out the October 2015 General Conference weekend, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf hits the nail on the head. He addressed one of the biggest issues I think that exists for members of the church today. We could have ended conference after his talk and I would have been satisfied. I have a lot of feedback about his talk, so I have hidden it in a spoiler tag to save space and allow you to quickly scroll to other parts of this post with ease. To view my feedback, click on Show/Hide.




Elder Ballard spoke next with a continuation of a talk he gave last year about the "Old Ship Zion". The point of his talk was to emphasis key principles of the Gospel that we should "hold on" to and have faith in. I'm personally never a big fan of analogies with Gospel topics, for the most part they seem cheesy or over-done or over-stretched. Occasionally one will be clever and I suppose it helps other members of the church remember the doctrine better, and makes for catchy Mormon memes. But at least for me, it seems to annoy more than help. Maybe my heart is hardened, maybe I don't think through analogies as easily. But I love to hear the doctrine spelled out in front without the extra shavings.




Elder Richard J. Maynes focused on living a life with Christ at our center. (Hmm,,, seeing a pattern here? Uchtdorf talks about the simple Gospel, Ballard says to focus on the key principles, Maynes says to live a life centered on Christ...) He used an analogy (which, while I found borderline cheesy since we've had the clay and pottery analogy before, I forgave since his principle was important) of how we need to have Christ at the center of our lives so He can shape us to become what He knows we can. The analogy was, you guessed it, clay. I will not get into the details of it, you can read it yourself if you want. I wish to focus on the principles that personally helped me more than the analogy.

His talk quoted scriptures in the Book of Mormon. I fully admit, I found it hard to focus just because of the anticipation of him tying up the stories to the analogy throughout the talk. But his point was clear, we all need Christ in the center of our lives or we will not withstand the storms of the adversary.


Sister Marriott gave a talk about opening our hearts to the Lord and how and why me can and should achieve this. First and foremost, yes I loved that accent! Myself having served a mission in Houston Texas, found joy in hearing a southern voice testify of the truth.




Elder Lawrence spoke next, focusing on how the Holy Ghost can guide and direct us throughout our lives. He talks about his conversion and then points out something that hurt/scared me,




Elder ViƱas then gave a talk about the pleasing word of God. Like my comment on the General Woman's broadcast, this talk didn't (and upon reviewing it, still doesn't) really impact me much. Again, it's not that this talk is bad or that I am closed minded (but perhaps there is some of the latter), but that it isn't something I need to or am ready to hear yet. Perhaps for one of you it really influenced your life, and that's fantastic! Don't feel bad, in fact feel excited that the Lord spoke to you through one of His servants!


Elder Cook was the final speaker for the Saturday Morning Session. I will admit by this point I was personally fed from the prior talks and was eager to have lunch and prepare for the remaining session that day. So most of his talk was just filler for the remaining time. I was listening, and did feel the spirit. However, one thing that did catch my attention was this.
"I believe that sometimes our loving Father in Heaven must view us with the amusement we feel when we watch our own small children as they learn and grow. We all stumble and fall as we gain experience.
I appreciated the conference address President Dieter F. Uchtdorf gave in 2010 about the famous marshmallow experiment conducted at Stanford University in the 1960s. You will remember that four-year-olds were given a single marshmallow. If they could wait for 15 or 20 minutes without eating it, they would receive a second marshmallow. Videos have been produced showing the contortions that many children used to avoid eating the marshmallow. Some did not succeed.
Last year the professor who conducted the original experiment, Dr. Walter Mischel, wrote a book in which he said the study grew in part out of his concerns about self-control and his own addiction to smoking. He was particularly concerned after the U.S. Surgeon General’s report of 1964 concluded that smoking caused lung cancer. After years of study, one of his professional colleagues reported that “self-control is like a muscle: the more you use it, the stronger it gets. Avoiding something tempting once will help you develop the ability to resist other temptations in the future.""
Yes, I did remember that talk vaguely. How fascinating to find out more about that experiment and to learn of the origins of it. I have to agree that avoiding temptation will help you avoid it stronger and more powerful the next time it comes. I fight temptations everyday, many that I tell myself I will stop and not do again. But then I do it again. And I tell myself I'll stop. But I do it again. But through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and my honest open heart and desire to change, I have been able to conquer challenges, even if I do screw up yet again, He is always ready to forgive. He wants to forgive.

He also brought up the importance of the Sabbath day a bit. I won't get into it much, but I appreciate the emphasis of recognizing the importance of the Sabbath day and try to keep it Holy. It's clear that we as members need to think about what we do and find ways to improve.


Well, that was Saturday Morning Session of the 2015 October General Conference! I hope you enjoyed reading my review and my thoughts on each talk. I really enjoyed this session and look forward to reviewing the next four sessions (Priesthood exists Ladies ;) ). Again, if you have any comments at all, feel free to reply below. I am curious to know what you think of my thoughts and what you got from these talks.

6 comments:

  1. Stupid comment box will only let me post so much so sorry its split up so much.

    President Uchtdorf – Loved, loved, loved this talk! This is one that I felt was especially for me. I guess part of the problem is that I tend to like complicated things. I like to watch movies and TV shows that make me think rather than just being entertaining. I guess that’s why I spend so much time watching shows like The Blacklist and super deep dramas than watching Disney movies. And I feel soooo different than every other Mormon that seems to be so obsessed with Disney movies. I’m not saying I don’t like them, but it’s not usually my first choice unless I’ve had a hard day and want to watch something light-hearted. But most of the time, they are too simple for me to truly enjoy. Anyway, I understand what President Uchtdorf was trying to say – accept simple things. Don’t dismiss them because they seem too simple. And I loved what he said about if the gospel is working for you. The gospel is working for me. It gives me opportunities to serve others, have fun with people my age, and most importantly work on becoming a better disciple of Christ. I enjoy church and the messages taught. They help me become a better person.

    I guess the one thing I will still struggle with on this topic is that not every problem in the gospel is so “simple” or “Nit-picky.” The differing accounts of the first vision, the book of Abraham historicity, same sex attraction – the church has spoken on these issues but there really aren’t simple answers to them. I don’t know if I will ever be comfortable with issues like these. However, I stay active because the benefits that I receive from the church outweigh the questions. (Okay that sounded a little selfish but by benefits I mean being a better person and helping others so that’s not so selfish right?) This talk was such a great kick-off to conference.

    And oh my goodness!!! I loved your story about teaching primary. You are so adorably nerdy. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that all the members watching or listening to his talk took notice of it. It was very specific. Imagine if everyone applied that to their everyday lives? Would make Sunday School and other church programs more interesting and less stressful. I watch movies and always notice plot holes, or the over-dramatic and unrealistic events or endings. And as I am studying movie making I notice things even more than ever, so I often annoy my family or friends with my often negative or critiquing comments when watching movies (Disney or church made).

      And speaking of Disney movie obsession, I don't understand that either. I love Disney in general and am fond of their classics, but I can't quote lines from the movies, or burst into song from Lion King or whatever. Those movies never impacted me as much as Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or the "sketchy" ones like Hunger Games or Taken.

      "Sketchy" because it has been implied by many members that liking and watching those kind of movies aren't good. Yes, Hunger Games has to do with killing people, and Taken is about a girl who gets kidnapped so she can be raped. Yet I watch those movies for the action, for the story. Not because I'm some sexual pervert. In fact, during Taken I was almost emotional. I had spent the hour and a half watching the father do everything in his power to find his daughter. When they reunite but he's at gunpoint by the raper, I was so freaked out!

      Excellent observation. Yes, there are different accounts of the first vision. We talked about that in institute once. And that's when you've got to really put your faith not in the details but in the main story. Arguably one can say well, if the details change then the story is faked. If we wish to argue that, then okay. Let's review every general conference talk ever and analyze if there are any plot holes or problems with their stories. I can tell you from personal experience that I have found several on my mission and there was even one in this very general conference that confused me. It's the fact that are are not perfect and that God has to deal with us being imperfect that makes it difficult.

      If you look at the church gospel topics, they are starting to open up and reveal more deep doctrine and give talks from the 1950s and before, when things weren't as taboo or difficult to explain in general conference. Before they had Elder Holland and Bednard to "give the tough topics to". It's really neat seeing that. You can notice that also with the church showing their video of the garments, of them revealing the stone that Joseph used to translate the book of mormon (often in a hat) and so on. These strange truths and historical events often confuse members, such as yourself. And that's normal. We don't seem to talk about them because as Ufchtdorf points out, we shouldn't focus on them if it confuses our testimony and our worship. Does it REALLY matter the details on how the book of mormon got translated, or if it is a true record given from God to Joseph Smith for us to read? Is it REALLY important to know why blacks were banned from the Priesthood, or polygamy was a commandment, or that Joseph used to chew tobacco? Or is it more important to recognize that God has a plan that sometimes will NOT make sense or seem fair to us at all, but we HAVE to trust Him and know that He loves us. He loves us. That's the key, which is what i learned on my Mission and helps me to keep going today.

      You are not selfish by enjoying the benefits. You are completely in your right to want that, because that is what God wants. That men might have joy. He wants you to be happy. If you aren't, He is sad as well.

      Haha, thanks! I try and usually fail, but occasionally I succeed.

      Delete
  2. Elder Ballard – Okay, I’m going to be honest. I was not a fan of his “Old Ship Zion” talk from last October’s conference. I felt like he was being too black and white with that talk and I don’t see the church as black or white at all. He made it sound like you’re either on the boat and okay with every part of the church or off the boat and unaccepting of every part of the church. I don’t see things that simply, but I also tend to overcomplicate things as mentioned earlier. I liked this talk from Elder Ballard so much more. I love that he emphasized that prophets and apostles aren’t perfect. We shouldn’t be looking for weakness in our leaders. They definitely have them, but it’s not something we should be focusing on. I believe the apostles truly are amazing individuals. They receive revelation from God. However they are still human and can be influenced by the time and place they grew up (Hence why Brigham Young was such an advocate for slavery. Unfortunately he brought this viewpoint to his sermons.) In some ways I have some major issues with Brigham Young. He taught some really weird stuff, but I guess I can’t judge without having been living in that time period. I can however focus on the amazing things that he DID do – like leading the trek to Utah. That is a really big deal! I can appreciate his dedication to helping the saints find a safe and happy place to live and worship freely.

    I totally enjoyed your little rant about testimonies. This is one of my pet-peeves in my new ward. I feel like a lot of the testimonies are the ones you described and it drives me nuts – especially when they say stupid or incorrect stuff when investigators are at church. I don’t share my testimony that much because I don’t really know what to say. I know I am guilt of doing some share-a-monies and travel-a-monies. So Robert, I’d like to ask you – what does a model testimony look like to you? I’m still trying to figure that out, but I do have to say that one of my favorite people in your ward to listen to was Mike Dieffenbach. He was great at sharing simple, but powerful testimonies.

    This is all I have time to comment on tonight, but I'll keep sharing my thoughts and thanks for posting yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on giving a "rant" about this when I make it to Sunday's session (because of the major deal of the new apostles and the viral stories about Monson almost collapsing) and I will talk about your point that they aren't perfect and are human beings. I have a few talks to give great examples. I look forward to sharing that, because I have some great feelings and thoughts about it that I think you and others need to hear and will appreciate. But alas, I need to get through Saturday and Priesthood session first. Probably will finish by Christmas, haha.

      I'd like to share a story. 4th of July I had friends come over and we had a lot of fun. They are from Chicago and so I stayed up past midnight waiting to hear that they made it safely home. So I was very tired and didn't get much sleep. I became grumpy Sunday morning. I was not feeling social, I was easily irritated. I wasn't looking forward to it being a Fast Sunday. And to go through testimonies... but then when it was our turn to share testimonies after the Sacrament, I felt the spirit say to go up and share my testimony. I resisted. I didn't want to. I was grumpy. But I did get up. I did go over and share my testimony. I honestly don't remember exactly what I said, but it was not planned. The spirit was strong, and I felt great afterward.

      My family has been teaching about the five points of a Testimony. https://www.lds.org/friend/2008/10/testimony-glove?lang=eng They are

      "1. I know that God is our Heavenly Father and He loves us.
      2. I know that His Son, Jesus Christ, is our Savior and Redeemer.
      3. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. He restored the gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth and translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God.
      4. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s Church on the earth today.
      5. I know that this Church is led by a living prophet who receives revelation."

      How did you feel as you read each of those points? Did you feel the spirit? Did you nod your head in agreement? Did you hesitate? Did you feel uncertain? This is a great way to know where our testimony is and to ask God to help us improve and strengthen it.

      I think that you should share what you KNOW and not what you SHOULD know. Elder Holland pointed that out in a conference a few years ago. If all you KNOW is that the Book of Mormon is true, then share that. Did God answer a simple prayer the other day? Share (briefly) that you prayed the other day, and testify that He answers prayers. Mike was a good example by sharing the honest truth and nothing else. I love that kid. Adam recently went up and the spirit was very strong. He testified of the Atonement and I knew that he had experienced it very strong recently. It was powerful. He didn't say much, but it was perfect.

      In short, share what doctrine, what truth you have experienced and know (or want to know) is true. Honestly, if everyone did that, I wouldn't mind the crying as much, the quick stories, even the bragging. If it's done humbly and with real intent, then great! The spirit will be there and everyone can be edified. The model testimony is thus, a testimony from the heart. What you believe is true. Use the guidelines above to start out, then you can find more specific things as you go through experiences and trials. I hope this helped.

      Thanks for responding, I hope I can get started on the afternoon session next week. :)

      Delete
  3. Richard J. Maynes - I liked this talk and the message was clear - center your life around Christ. I like what he said about living after the manner of happiness. I not saying that you can't be happy if you aren't Mormon or Christian but there is a different kind of happiness you can experience when you have the spirit with you.

    Sister Marriott – I loved her accent too! Usually the women that speak at general conference have the Utah Mormon accent and I liked to see things switched up a bit. I think this talk helps remind people that even if you are living right, things sometimes still go wrong. I think members need to know this. A few weeks ago at church a sister was talking about how she believed that she wasn’t pulled over while speeding during a road trip because she is getting ready to serve a mission and she is living her life right. Fortunately, several people then raised their hands and mentioned how this is not always (and often) the case. I used to have this mentality to a degree. I remember growing up learning about how happy we can be if we live the gospel. Well, I struggled with depression and definitely was not happy 90% of the time. Did this mean that I wasn’t living the gospel? No. In fact I was reading my scriptures every day (much more than I do now), praying every day, writing in my journal, going to church and church meetings, etc.) I was doing what I was supposed to. When I first started speaking to my bishop at the time I told him about my depression and some of the dark thoughts I was having, he immediately started asking me worthiness questions which was soooo wrong! Don’t assume that because someone isn’t happy or is going through something really difficult it means that they aren’t worthy. Fortunately over the next couple years my bishop did more than enough to make up for this mistake he made right towards the beginning, but I remember questioning my worthiness at the time because of it. Looking at my life right now things did “work out” but they didn’t work out right then. In fact, they didn’t work out for almost a decade of my life. Some problems don’t go away at all in this lifetime but we can take comfort in knowing that one day they will work out and we will be blessed for our efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elder Lawrence – This talk reminded me of the challenges I would give during Sunday school. When it came down to it, the challenge was the same every week – take what you learned today, pray and ask Heavenly Father how you can take the message into your life to make you better, and then do it. Do it for 1 week, 2 weeks, 2 months, a year, etc. until you have improved a little. This is what life is about – progressing. I have taken Elder Lawrence’s challenge but I don’t feel like I’ve had a clear answer yet so I’m continuing to ask this question.

    Elder Vinas – There was one point in his talk that I really liked and it was this – “It also gives us the security that, after we have lived a faithful life, we will not lose any blessing for not having done certain things if we were never given the opportunity to do them. If we have lived faithfully until the time of our death, we “will have all the blessings, exaltation, and glory that any man or woman [who has had that opportunity] will have.”

    Elder Cook – I really liked the quote that you shared from this talk – “I believe that sometimes our loving Father in Heaven must view us with the amusement we feel when we watch our own small children as they learn and grow. We all stumble and fall as we gain experience.” Someone in my ward gave a wonderful testimony about this. We don’t shame a child when they fall while trying to learn how to walk. Instead, we keep working with them and celebrate the successes they do have. Likewise, Heavenly Father doesn’t think less of us when we fall and make mistakes. He works with us from where we are at and celebrates our successes.

    ReplyDelete